I love quizzes and food, so why not join in the fun of Vegan Mofo?
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Unsweetened Rice Milk
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Pumpkin Brownies, Butternut squash pizza, Vegan French Toast…
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
I actually don’t eat it much anymore… it kinda kills my stomach for some reason. If I do, maybe lightly salted or with cinnamon and sugar.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
Pumpkin Brownies round one last fall. Disgusting. Veganizing brownies is a bit of work.
5. Favorite pickled item?
I don’t eat anything pickled. Not my thing!
6. How do you organize your recipes?
With a tab in my Safari browser 🙂 That’s it.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
All of the above. We compost at work so I sometimes take things there. I recycle at home but definitely use the trash for things I can be lazy about on occasion.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Watermelon, Bananas, Peanut Butter
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
When my mom would make us pancakes, my brother and i always looked forward to her mickey mouse creations or having our names spelled out. Now that I can make my own, its funny how hard I thought this was back then. 🙂
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Store: Coconut Bliss Chocolate… and Stogo [in NYC] has amazing vegan ice cream as well.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
My food processor.
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Cinnamon and Cumin [can’t pick one]
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
Ha. I bought myself my first cookbook a year and a half ago by Mark Bittman called “How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.” Yes, I was 24 before I got my first cookbook. I’ve added to this, obviously, but I still prefer online databases like Epicurious, The PPK, Tastespotting, or various vegan food blogs.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
You know, I can’t even remember the last time I bought jam. Blackberry or Strawberry.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Black Bean and Quinoa Tacos [dinner] or one of my scone recipes
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
Tempeh, actually. I can cook with it better than tofu… I just tried seitan and its good, but the texture is really a bit strange if I think about it too much.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
Sunday Mornings are my absolute favorite. Its the first of two days I get to actually make myself french pressed coffee and breakfast. Every other day I am doing this for other people and I really, really look forward to doing it for myself. I love cooking breakfast!
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Nothing really. A cabinet is above which makes the top difficult to use for any type of storage.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Frozen blueberries, Ezekiel bread, Frozen homemade cookie dough
20. What’s on your grocery list?
Greens, Olive Oil, Apples
21. Favorite grocery store?
I love Whole Foods [I worked there once] but I rarely can just get what I plan for… I am a new convert to farmer’s markets though… and really, I just determine what’s the most inexpensive and/or most local and base my choices on those factors. So you may find me at Kroger or Trader Joe’s as well.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
French Toast….. tomorrow.
23. Food blog you read the most.
I love Happy Herbivore. Lindsay’s recipes never disappoint. They are very healthy and are not expensive to recreate. I have several I read, though. If you want links let me know!
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
I don’t really care about candy that much… I do love dark chocolate. Apparently there is a dark chocolate with fig by Theo and I am on the hunt for it!
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
I try not to get anything extravagant, but occasionally I will get Coconut Bliss icecream. I want to cook with coconut oil but can’t quite bring myself to buy it. I also have a new addiction to Perrier or San Pellegrino that I really need to stop. But this isn’t technically a food item.
26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
Beets, Silken tofu, seitan… and I am sure there are others.